Unfortunately during times like these there are some people looking to take advantage of you:
Note - The ATO will NEVER:-
· Send an email or SMS with a hyperlink direct to our online services such as myGov.
· Request personal identifying information via a return email unless you have agreed to engage with us in this way
· Send you unsolicited pre-recorded messages to your phones using a fake or ‘spoofed’ phone number
· Threaten you with immediate arrest and insist you or your clients stay on the line until a payment is made
· Prevent you from discussing your tax affairs with your accountant
· Make a conference call between us and you
· Request payment of a debt via iTunes, Google Play cards or other vouchers, cryptocurrency, cardless cash transfer, offshore wire transfer or into a bank account not held by the Reserve Bank of Australia
· Ask you to pay a fee to receive a refund.
· To check if a suspicious call, message or request is from us, you can phone the ATO scam hotline on 1800 008 540.
You can also visit ato.gov.au/scams for more information about how to verify and report a scam, and see our latest scam alerts.